- Created on Thursday, 27 December 2012 13:14
- Published on Thursday, 27 December 2012 13:14
I wished you a Happy New Year in passing, and then it occurred to me to give you a special wish for it. What, specifically? That you become new. New in what way? In the way that a new dress is new: Everything is in its place, there is not the slightest little spot or wrinkle; it billows with freshness. That is what I wish for your soul to be like. You, in body, like the dress that we are talking about, fresh from the needle, will be completely new. Our soul, however, even upon its arrival in the world, brings the old; if this oldness is not removed from it, then it will remain old, without having tasted the new. Vanity and passions-that is what is old in the soul. Drive these out, and you will become new.
- Created on Friday, 21 December 2012 14:44
- Published on Friday, 21 December 2012 14:44
The holy Psalmist commanded, saying, “Blow with the trumpet in the new moon, on the solemn day of your feast”.... “if ye shall go out to battle in your land against your enemies that rise up against you, then ye shall proclaim with the trumpets, and shall be remembered before the Lord, and be delivered from your enemies.” Not only in wars did they blow the trumpet, but under the law, there was a festal trumpet also. Hear him again, going on to say, “And in the day of your gladness, and in your feasts, and your new moons, ye shall blow with the trumpets”. ... Now these things were typical, and done as in a shadow. But let us pass on to the meaning, and henceforth leaving the figure at a distance, come to the truth, and look upon the priestly trumpets of our Saviour, which cry out, and call us, at one time to war, as the blessed Paul saith;
- Created on Wednesday, 21 November 2012 13:16
- Published on Wednesday, 21 November 2012 13:16
How many things in nature are combined in the same plant! In a vine, roots, green and flexible branches, which spread themselves far over the earth, buds, tendrils, bunches of sour grapes and ripe grapes. The sight of a vine, when observed by an intelligent eye, serves to remind you of your nature.
- Created on Saturday, 17 November 2012 12:24
- Published on Saturday, 17 November 2012 12:24
"Let the earth bring forth." See how, at this short word, at this brief command, the cold and sterile earth travailed and hastened to bring forth its fruit, as it cast away its sad and dismal covering to clothe itself in a more brilliant robe, proud of its proper adornment and displaying the infinite variety of plants.
- Created on Thursday, 15 November 2012 09:49
- Published on Thursday, 15 November 2012 09:49
- Created on Saturday, 10 November 2012 19:39
- Published on Saturday, 10 November 2012 19:39
- Created on Saturday, 20 October 2012 21:25
- Published on Saturday, 20 October 2012 21:25
Wherefore Luke points out that the pedigree which traces the generation of our Lord back to Adam contains seventy-two generations, connecting the end with the beginning, and implying that it is He who has summed up in Himself all nations dispersed from Adam downwards, and all languages and generations of men, together with Adam himself. Hence also was Adam himself termed by Paul "the figure of Him that was to come,"
- Created on Thursday, 11 October 2012 12:25
- Published on Thursday, 11 October 2012 12:25
- Created on Thursday, 09 August 2012 23:08
- Published on Thursday, 09 August 2012 23:08
Fr. Athanasius refutes H.E. Met Bishoy's answer to H.G. Bishop Serapion here: http://goo.gl/GF4BO